CLAT 2024 Exam Update: Exam Date, Eligibility & Syllabus
About CLAT 2024:
The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a prestigious entrance examination in India for admission to undergraduates and postgraduates in law programs offered by various National Law Universities (NLUs) and other law colleges across the country.
Established in 2008, CLAT has since become a highly competitive and sought-after test among law aspirants.
CLAT assesses the candidate’s aptitude in various areas such as English, General Knowledge, Mathematics, Legal Aptitude, and Logical Reasoning. It is conducted annually and serves as the primary gateway for admissions into 26 NLUs in India.
The exam typically consists of multiple-choice questions, followed by a comprehension-based section and a subjective section for the postgraduate program.
Over the years, CLAT has gained prominence for its challenging nature, often requiring rigorous preparation. It not only evaluates a candidate’s academic knowledge but also their analytical and reasoning abilities.
CLAT plays a pivotal role in shaping the legal profession in India.
This test is renowned for its high level of difficulty and is regarded as one of the most challenging entrance exams in India, boasting an acceptance rate as low as 3 per cent.
When is CLAT 2024?
The Exam is going to be held on 3 December 2023.
What are the CLAT 2024 Eligibility Criteria?
- There is no upper age limit for individuals applying to undergraduate programs through CLAT 2024.
- Candidates must attain the following minimum percentage of marks in their qualifying examination (i.e., 10+2 or an equivalent exam)
- 45% marks or equivalent grade for General / OBC / PWD / NRI / PIO / OCI candidates
- 40% marks or equivalent for SC/ST candidates.
- Candidates who might be taking their qualifying exam in March/April 2024 are eligible for the CLAT 2024 exam. However, they must provide proof of passing their qualifying exam during the admission process, or else they will lose their eligibility.
- The result of the 10+2 qualifying exam must be submitted by candidates at the time of admission. Failure to do so will render the candidate ineligible for admission to their chosen course.
- In case of a tie in CLAT 2024 scores among multiple candidates, the tie-breaker will follow this procedure in the given order:
- (i) Higher scores in the Legal Aptitude section of CLAT 2024
- (ii) Older age
- (iii) Computerized drawing of dots.
What is the CLAT 2024 Syllabus?
- UG-CLAT 2024 aims to assess candidates’ comprehension and reasoning abilities primarily. It’s designed to measure aptitude and skills required for a legal education rather than relying on prior knowledge, although having some prior knowledge may occasionally be helpful in answering questions in the Current Affairs and General Knowledge section.
- The UG-CLAT 2024 will consist of a 2-hour exam with 120 multiple-choice questions, each worth 1 mark. For each incorrect response, there will be a penalty of 0.25 marks deducted.
The UG-CLAT 2024 exam will cover the following five subjects:
- English Language
- Current Affairs, including General Knowledge
- Legal Reasoning
- Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative Techniques
How to Prepare for CLAT 2024?
- Improve vocabulary, brush up on grammar, practice comprehension, focus on cloze tests, and solve previous year papers.
- Understand legal concepts, practice legal reasoning questions, analyze case scenarios, and stay updated on legal developments.
- Master logical puzzles, strengthen logical arguments, identify argument structure, and apply deductive reasoning.
- Review mathematical basics, practice regularly, memorize important formulas, and use shortcuts.
- Regularly read newspapers & reliable online sources to keep updated on current affairs, concise notes of important dates & events, take quizzes and focus on constitutional and legal matters.
- The Consortium has some helpful resources planned to assist candidates preparing for UG-CLAT 2024 which you can refer to: Official Link 👈